Sanitation Truck
Colby Trash Truck dumping 3 yard bin

The City of Colby provides city collection and disposal services for solid waste, household waste, and grass clippings, but not for hazardous wastes. Household hazardous wastes must be disposed of at the Thomas County Hazardous Waste site anytime during regular business hours.

Household waste is garbage, trash, refuse, yard solid waste, and other discarded materials derived from single and multiple family residences (including dead plants, weeds, and brush). Solid Waste is any garbage or refuse, sludge from a wastewater treatment plant and other discarded materials, but does not include solid or dissolved materials in domestic sewage, or solid or dissolved materials in irrigation return flows or industrial discharges, or hazardous waste. Grass clippings are green, growing material taken from the yard (including grass, weeds, and plants).

The City of Colby Utility Billing Office (Customer Service) can be contacted at 585 North Franklin, (785) 460-4400 during regular business hours (8 to 5 Monday through Friday, except holidays). There are a variety of services offered at the Utility Billing Office, including:

  • Collection of utility bills
  • Sale of dog tags
  • Utility service connects and disconnects
  • Sale of garbage bags
  • Cereal Malt Beverage & Liquor Licenses
  • Purchase of 95 gallon tipper cans for household waste and grass clippings

Questions on refuse collection should be directed to the Public Works Department, 195 North Sterling, (785) 460-4420 during regular hours (8 to 5 Monday through Friday).